Sunday, September 22, 2013

Two Techniques, One Stamp, Lots of Fun

Last week, I received an order from Gina K Designs that included the set Elegant Florals. Then I proceeded to go a little nuts. These were the first two cards I made, using the same stamps but two totally different techniques. The difference in feel of the two cards is pretty striking.

First up, FLOCK.
I stamped the stems in waterproof green ink, and after dabbing each leaf with a glue pen, I sprinkled on lavender flock. It's darker in the photo than real life (photo editing software limitations) but the close-up shows the fuzzy effect perfectly!





Next: THUMPING
I used SU markers in pumpkin, mustard, and summer sun...dabbing the pumpkin and mustard over the summer sun. Then, I spritzed the stamp with water to blend the colors and give this wonderfully autumnal watercolor effect!
 

 
 


The first card could be used for almost any situation. But the second one is absolutely perfect for the Thanksgiving Crusade. I just love how two different techniques can yield such different results with one stamp.

Cool Tip: To create the banners, I used a 3/4" square punch...just the corner of it. Hold the punch upside down so you can see where the paper is positioned, put thin edge of the strip into one corner of the punch at a 45-degree angle, and punch the divot out. You could use any size square punch, I imagine, but the smaller ones are easier to hold.

Supplies
stamps: Gina K Designs
ink: Memento bamboo, Versacolor Sahara Sand; SU markers
paper: PTI white
accessories: flock, Quickie glue pen, dimensionals, square punch; SU markers, water spray bottle, dimensionals, square punch

10 comments:

  1. Great techniques on your cards - I particularly like the second one. I love Fall colors. Your trick with the square punch is genius - thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards Susan, love the flocked one. TFS the punch tip too, it makes the perfect banner, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this flocked as lavender (inspired) or as wheat/grass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so nice. I had forgotten about thumping!! Off to the craft room to try some...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flocked lavender! Have never heard of "thumping" - Heh heh! Lovely, sweet cards, Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the two looks. I can't remember the last time I used any flocking...I'll have to dig in that bottom drawer for mine. Wonderful inspiration, great cards. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both lovely, but I think the second one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, These are beautiful. I can't remember the last time I used the thumping technique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the close up of the watercolor technique. You have a real talent in taking a simple card and making it look rich and classy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!